Google has released its YouTube Ads Leaderboard for the first half of 2018, showcasing the top 10 ads that resonated with Malaysian viewers between January to June 2018. The list was dominated by seasonal ads, capturing various moments from two of Malaysia’s important festive celebrations – Hari Raya Aidilfitri and the Lunar New Year.
Unlike previous years where long-form ads dominated the list, this year’s contenders have opted for a balance between the traditional 30-seconds TV ad duration and sketches that extended into the double-digit minute mark. This allows brands such as Tenaga Nasional to tell compelling stories whilst still capturing the attention of viewers. One thing that has not changed is the production quality of the ads’. Brands are constantly pushing the creative envelope to produce ads that play off more like TV dramas and feature films, both in looks and substance.
These ads are a reminder of the creative talent present in Malaysia and that going digital is not all about getting technical with technology. In fact, Google said that digital-first ads on YouTube enables brands and agencies to spend more time doing what they do best — doing and getting creative.
1. Astro Gempak: Gaya Raya Paling Ori – Filem Pendek Astro Raya 2018
2. Mcalls: Tan Yin Ern x Jeffrey Chen x Jeslyn “There Is A Dream in Spring”
3. Yakult Malaysia: Geng Sakat Raya (Yakult Raya 2018)
4. Samsung Malaysia: Samsung – Raya Last Minit
5. KFC Malaysia: KFC Raya 2018: Dendam Adam
6. Tenaga Nasional: TNB Raya 2018 – Rumah Epik Fantastik
7. PETRONAS: #PETRONAS CNY 2018: A Long Way Home
8. Maxis: Maxis CNY 2018 – It’s time to HuatAR
9. McDonald’s Malaysia: No rice where can?
10. Celcom: 5 Sekawan Selamanya – Chinese New Year Short Film by Celcom
Did your favourite YouTube ad make the cut?