Alibaba Group will support Macau’s transformation into a smart city by using cloud computing technologies in order to bring benefits to both residents and tourists visiting the city.
The partnership is for four years. In the first phase from 2017 to 2019, the collaboration will focus on cloud computing, smart transportation, smart tourism, smart healthcare, and smart city governance, as well as talent development:
- Cloud computing: The parties will collaborate to develop a dedicated smart technology platform with the aim of promoting cloud computing technologies in Macau.
- Smart transportation: The parties will build a smart transportation network for the city to optimise the management of road, water and air traffic, making the most effective use of Macau’s transportation resources.
- Smart tourism: Alibaba will support Macau in its development of smart tourism, leveraging the analysis of visitors and providing target consumer marketing tools. In the future, tourists visiting Macau will enjoy insight-driven guided tours, convenient mobile payments and customised online promotions at the airport, commercial districts, tourist spots, convenience stores and restaurants.
- Smart healthcare: Alibaba will support Macau in enhancing its electronic medical system and assisting healthcare decision-making through the use of online medical information.
- Smart city governance: Alibaba will assist Macau with the development of a centralised cloud-based platform that connects different government departments to enhance the efficiency of the city's governance.
- Talent development: Alibaba is launching the Alibaba cloud IT certificate programme and B2B e-commerce training programme with local tertiary educational institutions to support the development of professionals in cloud computing and e-commerce, as well as to identify and nurture promising startups and talented entrepreneurs in Macau.
The chief cxecutive of Macau, Chui Sai On and Alibaba Group’s executive chairman, Jack Ma, witnessed the exchange of the MoU in Macau.
O Lam, chief of office of the chief executive said: “By leveraging the power of these technologies and connecting resources of different government departments, the project is expected to enhance the model of socio-economic operation in Macau, expediting the city’s transformation into a smart city.”
Simon Hu, SVP of Alibaba Group and President of Alibaba Cloud said: “It is an honor for Alibaba to support the Macau Government’s vision for the development of a smart city. Leveraging our advanced technology and experience in this customised project, we are confident that the success of Macau’s digital transformation will serve as an example of a truly smart city in the region.”