When you register with Marketing Interactive under our SUBCRIBE TO MARKETING FREE area, your contact details are added to our electronic mailing list so that, from time to time, we can send you information about new features, additions, and changes to our Web site. Also, Marketing Magazine occasionally makes subscriber information available to other units within Lighthouse Independent Media as well as to selected outside companies whose products or services we feel may be of interest to you.
Sometimes third parties, called third-party ad servers or ad networks, deliver ads to you on our behalf. These third-party ad servers may also collect and use non-personally identifiable information about your visits to this and other web sites in order to present advertisements that may be of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice or to opt out of having this information used by third-party ad servers to provide targeted ads, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp.
Questions or comments can be sent to here.
If you prefer not to receive relevant business information from companies outside Lighthouse Independent Media, you may contact our circulations department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that privacy notices advising customers and prospects as to the specific uses that are being made of their Personally-Identifiable Information by specific business units within Lighthouse Independent Media may also be modified from time to time to reflect changes in business practices. In this event, those changes will appear in the relevant privacy notices.
Lighthouse Independent Media will also comply with applicable non-Singapore laws that impose additional responsibilities on Lighthouse Independent Media beyond those stated in this Policy in connection with the treatment of Personally-Identifiable Information about its customers and prospects.
Our Policy recognises two kinds of personal data that deserve varying levels of protection. Personally-Identifiable Information includes, for example, e-mail addresses, billing information, employment status and “click stream” data that tracks user activity on a Web site or online service. A subset of that category,Sensitive Data, deserves additional safeguards. Sensitive Data includes, by way of example, Social Security numbers, personal financial data (such as specific salary, net worth or individual portfolio information) and information about specific medical conditions.
Lighthouse Independent Media is committed to using all reasonable efforts to abide by the following Policy statement:
- Collection. Personally-Identifiable Information will only be collected to the extent that Lighthouse Independent Media deems reasonably necessary to serve a legitimate business purpose. Please be aware that if you disclose Personally-Identifiable Information on Web site message boards or chat areas, that information may be collected and used by third parties without our knowledge and may result in unsolicited communications from third parties. Such activities are beyond the control of Lighthouse Independent Media.
- Notification. Customers and prospects will be notified (usually at the point where Personally-Identifiable Information is collected) as to the uses the business unit may make of the Personally-Identifiable Information collected from them.
- Choice: Opt Out for External Distribution of Personally-Identifiable Information. Customers and prospects will be given the opportunity to refuse permission for External Distribution of their name, address or other Personally-Identifiable Information through an Opt Out mechanism. (External Distribution does not include certain limited distributions such as sharing Personally-Identifiable Information with an entity working on behalf of Lighthouse Independent Media to serve our customers; transfer of Personally-Identifiable Information in conjunction with the sale or similar transfer of a business unit; or the disclosure of Personally-Identifiable Information in connection with legal proceedings, investigations of crimes or other wrongdoing. However, sharing Personally-Identifiable Information with an entity working on behalf of Lighthouse Independent Media or transferring Personally-Identifiable Information in conjunction with the sale or similar transfer of a business unit is considered an Onward Transfer and will be handled as described below.)
- Security. Appropriate safeguards will be implemented in an effort to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of Personally-Identifiable Information about our customers and prospects.
- Access: Review and correction. Procedures have been developed through which customers and prospects can, upon request, review and correct the Personally-Identifiable Information that has been collected from them by Lighthouse Independent Media. These procedures may not, however, compromise the security, integrity and privacy of either Lighthouse Independent Media’s own proprietary databases or databases licensed from third party companies.
- Sensitive Data. The collection and use of Sensitive Data carries with it special obligations and responsibilities in order to maintain the data’s security, integrity and privacy. Sensitive Data will not be rented or otherwise made available for External Distribution outside Lighthouse Independent Media (although it may be made available through Onward Transfer as described below). Customers and prospects will be given the opportunity to refuse permission for their Sensitive Data to be distributed outside of the business unit that collected the Sensitive Data through use of an Opt Out mechanism for Internal Distribution within Lighthouse Independent Media.
- Onward Transfer. Whenever Lighthouse Independent Media permits a third party outside of Lighthouse Independent Media to access Personally-Identifiable Information through either External Distribution or Onward Transfer, commercially appropriate procedures will be followed to help ensure that the Information is used only for authorised purposes and by authorised persons in a manner consistent with the choices customers and prospects have made under this Policy, and that the security, integrity and privacy of the information is maintained. Please note that our Web sites may contain links to other Web Sites that have their own privacy policies and practices. While Lighthouse Independent Media will employ commercially appropriate procedures to help ensure that your information is only used for authorised purposes as described above, Lighthouse Independent Media cannot make any guarantees with respect to the actions or policies of such third parties.
To ensure that we follow our stated Policy, we also conduct periodic and random reviews of our Web sites and other products and services. The results of our reviews are shared with senior management and our Board of Directors.
We have taken care to abide by the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, Chapter 486 of the Laws of Hong Kong, to collect, store and use Personal Data fairly and lawfully and with due respect to the individual whose Personal Data is being processed.
What information do we collect from you?
The definition of Personal Data in the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance is as follows:
“Personal Data” means any data:
(a) Relating directly or indirectly to a living individual;
(b) From which it is practicable for the identity of the individual to be directly or indirectly ascertained; and
(c) In a form which access to or processing of the data is practicable.
It may be a single piece of information or a group of information taken together. We may collect personal data from you including your name, job title, company, address, telephone and mobile numbers, e-mail address, country of residence, gender, login ID as well as any information about you that is associated with, or linked to, any other data that helps us to provide you with a more personal and relevant experience.
If you provide Lighthouse with your Personal Data, it will help us to deliver to you the news, products or services, which you have requested. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but this may stop you from gaining access to a service or limit the features that you can use on our websites. We will collect your contact information and we will note your interests so as to provide you with a better service and enrich your experience when you visit our websites.
How does Lighthouse collect your information?
We collect Personal Data from you when you register with one of our Hong Kong sites or when you choose to use the various services we provide. We also collect other types of data which may be considered personal that you provide to us voluntarily when, for instance, you make a purchase or respond to surveys and questionnaires, competitions, forums, social networking activities or other offers.
How will Lighthouse use your information?
We will use your information for the following purposes:
- to provide you with the products and services you have requested and to communicate with you about those products and services;
- to deliver the daily operation of the content, services and products provided to you;
- to design services or products for customers’ use;
- with your consent we will let you know about any products or services which Lighthouse believes may be of interest to you; you will always be able to unsubscribe or opt-out of receiving these messages.
- with your consent, we will work with our business partners who will send you marketing messages that we have selected (because we think you’ll find them interesting) including, but not limited to, Business Solutions, Education & Training, Events, Finance & Investment, Media & Marketing, Subscriptions, Surveys & Research. You will always be able to unsubscribe or opt-out at any time. These business arrangements help us to save you money and allow us to provide some of our services for free.
- to invite you to share your opinions and comments;
- to conduct a survey and/or market research.
- we may also be required to disclose your Personal Data to authorities who can request this information by law that is binding on Lighthouse, for instance, for the prevention and detection of crime, the capture or prosecution of offenders and the assessment or collection of tax or duty
- purposes relating to the above.
Do we share your information with other companies?
We may share your Personal Data with our third-party suppliers who need to process your data in order to fulfil your request, such as to charge your credit card (if authorised by you), fill your order, and deliver electronic newsletters and promotional messages. But they are required, under a contract with severe penalties, not to use your Personal Data other than to provide the services we request of them. Before we select our processing suppliers, whether within Hong Kong or elsewhere, they must satisfy us that they match our stringent processes to ensure the security of your data, whilst it is in their care. We regularly monitor them to ensure consistency of service and security.
In addition, if you choose to receive certain content we make available or participate in any of our conferences or events, we may share your Personal Data with the co-organizers and partners, content providers and related vendors in connection with such content and programs. We may also share your Personal Data with our parent company and affiliates for internal business purposes. You understand that the level of data protection in countries outside of Hong Kong may not be equal to the level of data protection under the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance and that Lighthouse will take appropriate measures to ensure an adequate level of protection is provided when transferring data internationally. You expressly consent to the disclosure of your Personal Data with our third-party service providers for the purposes of providing these services to you.
How do we keep your Personal Data safe?
Wherever your Personal Data is processed, Lighthouse will take the utmost care in keeping your data secure. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Data from unauthorised access or disclosure. We store data behind a firewall, which is a barrier designed to prevent outsiders from accessing our servers. Even though Lighthouse takes significant steps to ensure that your Personal Data is not intercepted, accessed, used or disclosed by unauthorised persons, you should know that we cannot eliminate security risks entirely particularly where the internet is concerned. Rest assured, we take particular care with regard to the protection of your Personal Data.
How long do we keep your Personal Data?
Your Personal Data will only be retained by Lighthouse for as long as is legitimately necessary for the continuation of our offering to you, or as prescribed by appropriate legislation.
How can you change your mind about receiving our marketing messages?
We will always offer you choices about receiving marketing messages from us or our trusted business partners. When you register on this or any other of our websites, or respond to one of our communications or offers, we will ask for your consent of whether you want to receive future marketing messages from us. You can always unsubscribe to any of our emails by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided at the bottom of each communication we send you, or email us anytime at:
Social plugins are buttons, boxes, and stories (such as the Like button) that websites can use to present relevant content to you and create more social and personal experiences for you. While you view these buttons, boxes, and stories on other sites, the content comes directly from the social plugin owner.
We work with trusted third parties, social networks and with application developers who specialise in social media so we can connect to your social networks. These companies operate third-party websites. We provide third parties and business partners with access to our sites so that we can generate interest in our products and services among members of your social networks. This also allows you to share product and service with friends in your social networks.
We cannot control how your data is collected, stored, used or shared by third-party social media websites or to whom the data is disclosed. Please be sure to review their Privacy Policies, Cookie Policies, and their Terms and Conditions to make sure you understand the information they are sharing. If you have questions you should contact that website to check your privacy settings and the rules that govern your ability to opt-out. Lighthouse is not responsible for how these third parties may use information collected from or about you.
Cookies and associated technologies
When we talk about cookies and tracking technology on our websites, we refer to:
- Flash Cookies
- Web Beacons
- Log files
- Other tracking technologies
The categories of cookies we use are as follows:
Category 1: Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are essential, as they enable you to move around a website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas. Without these cookies, services you’ve asked for (such as access to secure areas) can’t be provided. These cookies don’t gather information about you that can be used for marketing or remembering where you’ve been on the internet.
Category 2: Performance cookies. These cookies collect information about how you use a website, for example which pages you go to most often and if you get any error messages from certain pages. These cookies don’t gather information that identifies you. All information these cookies collect is anonymous and is only used to improve how our website works. These cookies are not used to target you with online advertising. Without these cookies we can’t learn how our website is performing and make relevant improvements that could better your browsing experience.
Category 3: Functionality cookies. These cookies allow a website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you’re in) and tailor the website to provide enhanced features and content for you. For instance, they can be used to remember log-in details, changes you’ve made to text size, font and other parts of pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services you’ve asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. These cookies may be used to ensure that all our services and communications are relevant to you. The information these cookies collect cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. Without these cookies, a website cannot remember choices you’ve previously made or personalise your browsing experience.
Category 4: Targeting cookies or advertising cookies. These cookies gather information about your browsing habits. They remember that you’ve visited a website and share this information with other organisations such as advertisers. They do this in order to provide you with ads that are more relevant to you and your interests. Although these cookies can track your visits to other websites, they don’t usually know who you are. Without these cookies, online advertisements you encounter will be less relevant to you and your interests.
Managing your Cookies
You should be aware that getting a new computer, installing a new browser, upgrading an existing browser, or erasing or otherwise altering your browser’s cookies files may also clear certain opt-out cookies, plugins, or settings.
We may collect information about your computer and your visits to this site such as your IP address, geographical location, browser type, referral source, length of visit and number of page views. We may use this information to improve the website’s usability and for other marketing purposes.
We work directly with a number of technology partners to maintain and support our website, such as Google Marketing Platform, to allow tracking technologies and remarketing services on the Site and our mobile application through the use of first-party cookies and third-party cookies, to analyse and track users’ use of the Site and our mobile application, measure the effectiveness of our online marketing campaigns, determine the popularity of certain content, and better understand online activity. We may use the personal information we have about you to provide anonymous and statistical data to third-party regarding the use of our websites, services, applications and tools. We do not share personally identifiable information with third-party partners and customers for measurement and analytics services.
Or write to us at:
Lighthouse Independent Media Ltd, 2F Connaught Habourfront House, 35-36 Connaught Road, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong.