Asians travel to other Asian countries 1.7 times every year on average, according to a survey by A.S. Watson. The large-scale consumer survey polled 14,000 consumers in seven Asian regions including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.
According to the results, Singaporeans are the top Asia jetsetters, who travel 2.7 times per year, while Hong Kongers come in at second place, travelling 2.2 times yearly across Asia. Hong Kong does rank as the top destination in the Greater Bay Area, however.
A.S. Watson launched the survey to draw attention to its “Watsons One Pass” overseas shopping benefits. The retail chain operates stores in all 11 cities in the Greater Bay Area, “Watsons One Pass” and the store will launch the use of the pass in over 660 Watsons stores in the region before expanding it out to locations in other Asian markets.
Malina Ngai, group chief operating officer of A.S. Watson Group, commenting on regional shopping said, “Watsons operates in many popular travel destinations worldwide, and our customers also tell us that they would like to shop in Watsons overseas. Therefore, in order to bring more excitements to our members, it is logical our loyalty programme goes international.
Other key takeaways from the survey
- Singapore is ranked top in the list of travel frequency, 91% of the Singapore tourists traveled to other Asian regions in 2018. Hong Kong is second only to Singapore (89%), followed by Malaysia, Taiwan, Indonesia, Thailand and Mainland China
- Mainland China, Thailand and Malaysia are the most popular travel destinations in Asia
- Most popular cross-border shopping destinations
- Mainland China tourists like shopping in Hong Kong
- Singaporean tourists like shopping in Malaysia
- Indonesia tourists like shopping in Singapore
- Most popular cross-border shopping items
- Mainland China, Indonesia and Thailand tourists prefer skincare and cosmetic products
- Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan tourists prefer personal care products
- Average spending of tourists
- The highest average spending by Greater Bay Area tourists is RMB444, followed by Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan, Indonesia and Malaysia