Spotify is now streaming music to 10 million paying subscribers in 56 markets worldwide, a milestone it reached in six years.
Since Spotify‚Äôs launch in 2008, the music-streaming service has been able to expand well out from Sweden into the United States and key markets in Asia. It had secured a notably loyal user base, with 70% of its early adopters are still subscribed to Spotify premium to this day.
“We’ve had an amazing year, growing from 20 markets to 56 as people from around the world embrace streaming music. Ten million subscribers is an important milestone for both Spotify and the entire music industry,” said Daniel Ek, CEO and founder of Spotify.
“We‚Äôre widening our lead in the digital music space and will continue to focus on getting everyone in the world to listen to more music,” he adds.
Spotify‚Äôs growth is not only significant for the company, but for the entire music industry. Since 2008, Spotify has driven over $1 billion dollars to rights holders while helping stomp piracy in the process.
Below are some interesting facts about Spotify and the music their millions of subscribers are hooked into.
- Most Busiest Time in Spotify: On average globally, activity in Spotify is highest every Thursday afternoons from 4 ‚Äď 5 pm.
- Most Streamed Artists: Eminemis the most streamed artist of all time, and Rihanna the most streamed female artist. David Guetta is the second most streamed male artist and Katy Perry the second most streamed female artist of all time.
- Most Streamed Song: ‚ÄúWake Me Up‚ÄĚ by Avicii is the most streamed song of all time with more than 235 million streams.
- Most Followed Artist: David Guetta is the most followed artist on Spotify with more than 5 million followers.
- In the past month: Top 100 Pop Tracks on Spotify was the most streamed playlist, while Clean Bandit‚Äôs ‚ÄúRather Be feat. Jess Glynne‚ÄĚ was the most played song in offline mode.