McDonald’s flies high with Angry Birds
Shanghai – McDonald's China has joined hands with TBWA Shanghai and Rovio – the creator of popular game Angry Birds in a location-based mobile game.
Customers can unlock special hidden game modes and get free power-ups when they visit the fast food chain with their iPhones.
Serving as a call for more players and customers, the campaign was paired with a TVC that introduced the Angry Bird story - the battle between the heroic birds and the pigs began when the villains stole a McDonald’s burger from a customer.
Aside from in-store promotions, advertising online and on outdoor media, the fast food chain is also asking customers to vote where it will build an actual life-sized slingshot – one of the key weapons in the game – to protect McDonald’s food from the pigs.
“We’re delighted about this exciting new initiative in China,” said Christine Xu, vice president of marketing for McDonald’s China.
“Both McDonald’s and Rovio are brands that are very focused on their customers, wanting to constantly bring them better and more engaging experiences, and that’s what brought us together.”
Paul Chen, general manager for Rovio China, added this campaign allowed the company to bridge the gap between the physical and digital worlds, with the in-game experience complementing the 1,500 completely branded physical locations in a new way.
TBWA\Shanghai is the lead agency for the integrated campaign. Leo Burnett Shanghai was responsible for the outdoor execution.
Follow us @Marketingeds on Twitter for breaking stories throughout the day.Have something to say? Comment on our Facebook page or contact the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TBWA Related Stories:
- M+S makes agency appointments
- TBWA\ China focuses on shopper behaviour
- Wyeth Gold takes kids around the world
- TBWA\ boosts creative team
- Lay of Draftfcb joins Creative Juice
- AIA consolidates creative with TBWA
- TBWA appoints DAN president
- DAN Singapore names new leadership team
- StanChart pumps marathon up on Facebook
- TBWA nabs JWT's creative lead
- BBDO appoints strategy lead for Asia
- TBWA\ appoints planning director
- Tangs goes for major brand overhaul
- McDonald's brings monster in for CNY push
- General Electric shows innovation with the old
- One2free redefines social gaming
- TBWA\KL promotes Shaun Tay
- ISC Innovators beefs up team
- TBWA snaps up Indian digital shop
- The importance of creativity