Sky's the limit for Sina Weibo
Hong Kong - Sina has taken its nationwide marketing campaign to the sky by naming a commercial aircraft after its microblogging platform Weibo.com.
This marks the first commercial aircraft in China to be named after a website.
The plane is decorated with the Weibo theme - a huge Sina Weibo logo painted on the body; and on the back of each seat, there is a message saying "When you leave the plane, don't forget your luggage, wallet or other personal belongings, and our Sina Weibo official account weibo.com/gsair".
Sina Weibo partnered with Tianjin Airlines for this marketing feat, as both companies celebrate their second anniversary this year.
According to Sina, the plane is a long-term marketing vehicle targeting the affluent frequent flyers across China and Hong Kong, as it will serve various routes across dozens of cities in the region.
Statistics released by Sina showed that Weibo boasts a total of 140 million users as of this April, out of which more than one million are from Hong Kong.
Have you joined the campaign for free content?
Subscribe to Marketing and marketing-interactive for FREE:
Breaking news and intelligent analysis. Always free.
- Sina Corporation
Sina Corporation Related Stories:
- SINA and Alibaba chase S$380m in ad rev
- Sina explores social commerce with Alibaba
- Business leaders top Weibo power list
- Sina to target SMEs for ad revenue growth
- Clash of the social titans: WeChat v Weibo
- Sina to power up Weibo as revenue soars
- Weibo debuts social game for Olympics
- Sina Weibo starts charging members
- Weibo tightens grip on content
- Sina, Lenovo launch social TV
- So takes international role at Sina
- Sina Hong Kong GM departs
- IN BRIEF: Timberland, Omnicom and Groupon
- Brands spread Christmas cheer via Weibo
- Sina ad revenue hits record US$101m
- Sina hires Ogilvy to spearhead Weibo push
- Weibo heads to McDonald's for new users
- China's netizens touch the 485 million mark
- Sina Weibo goes independent
- Weibo takes centre stage in Sina strategy