Adidas to crown 'King of the Road'
Regional - Sportswear major adidas has announced plans to launch its own running championship across Southeast Asia next year, titled the adidas ‘King of the Road' (KOTR).
Marketing plans around the event are still being firmed up and it is believed that adidas will use its existing media agency Carat and PR agency Icon for the purpose.
Held in five countries across the region, and organised in city areas, the adidas KOTR race will culminate in an ultimate championship race that will be held in a different host country each year. Next year's host country is the Philippines.
Aimed at bringing runners together from across the region as part of adidas' commitment to the sport, the race will make its regional debut in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Philippines.
In Singapore, the adidas KOTR race will be held on 28 August 2011, in which it hopes to target a total of 10,000 participants, eying a total of about 45,000 participants across the region.
The race each year will feature a different theme, the one for 2011 being ‘Colours' and represented through the variety of different coloured adidas T-shirts racing participants will wear.
"The organisation of running events such as the adidas King of the Road championship is meant for runners to challenge themselves and achieve personal breakthroughs," Marcus Chew, adidas' senior manager, brand communications and sports marketing, SEA, said.
Have you joined the campaign for free content?
Subscribe to Marketing and marketing-interactive for FREE:
Breaking news and intelligent analysis. Always free.
adidas Related Stories:
- adidas consolidates social media duties
- Adidas connects with its girly side
- Data deluge: Getting CRM basics right
- Adidas dares fans to find fast
- adidas lures fans with hip hop
- Bieber fronts adidas NEO Label
- Kellogg-Wilmar JV, RedPrairie picked
- Adidas goes gymming across the region
- Adidas thrives in pain
- adidas launches interactive TV mobile app
- Adidas puts China first in global push
- Adidas charges up originality
- Case Study: adidas China
- Adidas bands China fans together
- Adidas goes for football fans
- Adidas recruits hardcore football fans
- Adidas urges Filipinos to be original
- Case Study: adidas
- Adidas to send trainers to the sky
- Adidas gets star-studded in latest push