APAC consumers shop with a conscience
Regional – Making fair trade purchasing decisions is high on the agenda for shoppers in Asia Pacific, according to the latest MasterCard survey on Ethical Spending.
Nearly 70% of respondents said they made fair trade purchasing choices in the last two to three years, while about 55% are willing to spend more for products based on lawful principles.
Thailand, Malaysia and China lead the region in having the highest proportion of respondents who make ethical purchases.
Meanwhile, 61% of respondents in Asia Pacific reported buying products because they are environmentally friendly, and are willing to pay for more products that promoted sustainability.
“It is very encouraging to see that shopping with a conscience has taken root – our latest research shows that Asia Pacific shoppers are not just focused on good buys, they are just as focused on doing good,” Georgette Tan, vice president of communications for Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa at MasterCard Worldwide said.
The survey was conducted online from 3 September to 1 October 2010, polling 8,500 consumers from 15 markets across Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa.
Ethics aside, one in two of those polled in another MasterCard consumer survey are planning to make a charitable contribution within the next six months, with respondents in the Philippines, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Indonesia being most charitable in the region.
Have you joined the campaign for free content?
Subscribe to Marketing and marketing-interactive for FREE:
Breaking news and intelligent analysis. Always free.
- MasterCard Worldwide
MasterCard Worldwide Related Stories:
- Indian women see greater gender disparity
- MasterCard widens reach with sponsorship
- Singaporeans pessimistic about job opportunities
- MasterCard realises priceless moments
- APAC consumers confident yet cautious
- MasterCard's APAC marketer cashes out
- MasterCard names regional marketing lead
- Malaysian priorities: Dining & Entertainment
- MasterCard predicts consumer comeback
- MasterCard offers mobile guide Expo
- Consumers purchase with a conscience
- Women's economic confidence on the rise
- R/GA plots international outposts
- Consumers still out and about despite gloom
- Spending continues but saving rises
- Malaysia consumer confidence sinks
- The Jolt: Recession Marketing 101 - Relevance & Empathy
- Online show offers new brand exposure
- MasterCard offers scholarships to luxury professionals
- MasterCard Goes Red for Women