eBay spreads e-commerce to Thailand
Under this revenue-sharing agreement, Sanook! eBay will be managed and operated under a newly formed Sanook! subsidiary.
The Thai-language local site is expected to launch in approximately five to seven months.
According to research firm IDC, Thailand currently has more than 16 million Internet users - a figure expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 25 percent through 2009.
"The e-commerce community in Thailand is among the most active we've seen anywhere. Through this agreement, we are combining our core competency in cross border trade with Sanook's local market expertise to deliver the best e-commerce experience for Thai users, enabling them to not only engage in domestic trade but also to buy from and sell to the world," Lorrie Norrington, president of eBay international marketplaces said.
"As Thai Internet users become more comfortable doing transactions online, there is a tremendous opportunity to leverage the eBay global online marketplace via the local co-branded site created especially for Thai users. We expect that the Sanook! eBay Web site will quickly become a popular place for people to buy and sell a wide variety of items both within Thailand as well as internationally," Torboon Puangmaha, chief executive officer, Sanook Online said.
eBay Related Stories:
- eBay eyes China growth with site launch
- Ebay classifieds show its humorous side
- eBay tones down its logo
- NEA calls pitch, eBay revamps Gumtree
- eBay Classifieds renews Asia push
- eBay tasks Edelman with APAC duties
- Marketing TV: The new era of e-commerce
- Pay for British and American bosses rises
- TUS bags eBay regional biz
- Malaysia International Fashion Week on eBay
- PropertyGuru partners with eBay
- Wego with eBay
- TVB lends star power to eBay charity
- Avaya makes interactive director move
- Hong Kong picked for eBay ad centre initiative
- Yahoo paves the mobile apps way
- Flight stimulator
- Talk till you drop
- Eachnet taps Epsilon for email marketing campaigns
- Eachnet appoints TBWA\