Ink takes off with ambient
Ink's Ambient Media arm, which is in charge of ambient advertising for the airlines Jetstar, Tiger Airways and Cebu Pacific, launched at the end of 2008. The division is headed by group associate publisher Dario Burgel and currently has two staff.
Burgel said Ink set up the ambient business because it "identified a need for clients for someone to look after their ambient media on airlines".
"It only made sense that we look after the ambient media for them," he said.
Ink publishes a massive number of in-flight magazines, for airlines such as Kingfisher Airlines, SpiceJet, Jetstar, China Airlines, AirMacau, Bangkok Airways, Gulf Air, Cebu Pacific and Tiger Airways. It also publishes titles such as TimeOut Singapore and CNBC European Business.
Burgel said despite ambient media being "fairly new and unexplored", the response so far to the offering has been "sensational". He said more clients are looking to ambient media due to the recession as it is cost-effective, targeted and different.
"Agencies are interested in it because it's out of the box and they can be very creative with it," he said.
"The interest is really out there. The campaigns we offer are a very creative solution."
Ink offers advertising on all parts of the airplanes, from tray tables and headrest covers to ads that run on in-flight TV screens. It also offers audio announcements and live demonstrations that can performed during flights by the crew. So far the division has run campaigns for the likes of Budget Car Rentals and Sydney Airport.
Burgel said he is currently looking for more airlines to partner with and will hire more staff for the division at the end of the year.
"We're working on a couple of [client] proposals at the moment, it's slowly taking off," he said.
- Ink Publishing
Ink Publishing Related Stories:
- Time Out in new hands
- Ink relaunches niche airline title
- Afacan takes top publishing role at Fluid
- Time Out expands events strategy, starts membership club
- Time Out revamps marketing department
- Brands needed for charity drive
- Sales head Thia inks new move
- Ink ramps up integration with new division
- TurboJET Inks onboard mag deal
- Ink gets premium with Air Premiere
- Jetstar Asia goes for Ink
- TimeOut gets footloose
- Ink begins Spiceroute voyage
- Time Out Singapore spruiks online ad space
- Ink takes on business travel mag
- Mandala Airlines inks publishing deal
- Who says size doesn't matter?
- Who says size doesn’t matter?
- Ink Publishing scoops Gulf Air inflight magazine contract
- Ink to audit Tiger Tales, CNN Traveller Asia Pacific, EMEA